Nombre total de pages vues

samedi 7 février 2009

Why Historia Destructionis?

I've spent the day, whilst painting, which is a very contemplative activity, wondering why I called the last blog (about the removal of the balustrade) Historia Destructionis...? It wasn't some juvenile show-off thing, wanting to demonstrate my Latinity: after all, I've lived off my Latin for decades, usually in the most boring way imaginable. There must have been another reason. I think I have found it, and it is Freudian association rather than cultural demonstration.

The Historia Destructionis Troiae was a thirteenth century Latin translation of the medieval French Roman de Troie by Benoît de Ste Maure. The translator into Latin was a fine poet, a Sicilian called Guido delle Colonne. The clue lies in his last name. My part in the downfall of the balustrade was knocking out the columns, and Guido's name means just that....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire