Nombre total de pages vues

mercredi 14 janvier 2009

Cancelled


My driving lessons turn out to have been a mite premature! Whilst registering with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, which required all kinds of details in return for a distinctly muted offer of help, I happened to glance at my driving licence.

This had been returned to me when I had tried to get a new style photo licence from the DVLA, but with my French address. The returned original was accompanied by a letter stating that they couldn't issue licences to foreign addresses, but that my old licence would be valid abroad, whatever the address.

Seemed OK, and I started to drive. But now that I've looked closely at the whole licence (remember the old style ones are folded), I've discovered a great big black stamp proclaiming that the document is cancelled.

Up shit creek, really, because I cannot apply for a UK licence, being abroad, and I can't get an exchange French one because the bloody thing says 'cancelled' on it.

I rang the DVLA, who put me on hold when they realised they'd cocked up. They tried to say the licence was valid; not to worry; etc., but I told them I wasn't looking forward to explaining to the CRS traffic police that a cancelled licence was OK, because Swansea said so.

They are now going to send me a certificate of entitlement. Don't know if that is going to impress the natives...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire