Nombre total de pages vues

vendredi 29 mai 2009

Taking the Plunge

Well, that's it then. I've taken the plunge and had my first swim of the year. For the last two weeks the water has been looking tempting, but the grimaces and hesitations of those wading out into the waves made me hesitate.

Today was different, however. For one thing, it was seriously hot. For another, I had jokingly told the better half that I might risk a dip whilst she was at work. Time ticked past, and the hour of her return from work approached. My reputation was at stake. So I headed for the Gravette with my bathing trunks already on, under my trousers.

The first couple of metres into the water are quite pebbly and painful on the feet, so I decided the only way not to look like a fool was to launch myself with a shallow dive, almost from the water's edge. I feared what the French call 'hydrocution', and the Brits might just call Brass Monkeys. In the end, it was surprisingly warm, exquisitely turquoise and transparent, and totally pleasurable. I will certainly make a habit of going every day from now on.

On the way home, I met a couple of neighbours. We stopped for a long chat about Antibes (they're Old Antibes born and bred). The conversation was extremely affable and informative, but I realised half way through that the water from my still wet cozzie was now dribbling down my groin, wetting my trousers with a wide dark stain and giving me the the authentic look of an inveterate, incontinent wino. The neighbours had the good grace not to say anything...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire